The Revealers and Concealers
Solvay Conference 1927
The Great Cosmic Joke
Discovery: the Holy Grail
- The fourth dimension, from Einstein’s special
theory of relativity. Hasty adjustment to save finitude by Minkowski.
And as fearless as the young Einstein was, he was not prepared to
abandon 'the finite realm'.
- The time and size phenomena in relativity.
Accelerating clocks slow down; accelerated mass increases…all from a
‘privileged’ point of view.
- The ‘principle of equivalence’ from Einstein's
general theory of relativity. Inertia = gravitation; thus gravitation
as a ‘force’ disappears. Weight, then, simply becomes the definition
of inertia: the resistance to acceleration! But what in the world is
- H. Weyl’s “length variable, ‘a sort of change in
size’” (in relativity). This phenomenal creation was simply ignored
and denied primarily because of its startling implications.
- The Schrödinger wave function built upon de
Broglie’s matter waves. The calculation and prediction of atomic
through evolving energy states. Each energy state gets larger or
"fatter" as it evolves over time.
- The verification of the above: G.P. Thomson’s
Nobel winning electron refraction experiments: “How can a particle
spread?” The verification that was ‘reinterpreted’ because of its
implications; where a spreading fractional density became spreading
probabilities (see below).
- G. Spencer Brown’s calculus of indication,
“a new calculus of great power and simplicity (Bertrand Russell),
which allows us to go back to the roots of thought to the very first
distinction: where “the universe cannot be distinguished from how we
act upon it.” And one of its most startling—yet quite
ignored—conclusions: "…thus we cannot escape the fact that the world
we know is constructed in order (and thus in such a way as to be able)
to see itself.”
- The startling realization that the purpose of
our universe is self-awareness; and to this end, “Infinity must become finite
in order to see itself”. And that we must be its primary agents.
the philosophy of the status quo–which ignores the implications of
most of the above:
- Classic normalization. Without some
multi-dimensional additive, the field surrounding the particle becomes
- Point particles. Particles with 0° radius; no
size whatsoever; a necessary “embarrassment” to physics. But, since
‘it works’, it must be true.
- Max Born’s ‘spreading probabilities’: physical
mathematics! Schrödinger’s ‘spreading’ fractional density gets
reinterpreted causing everything that follows:
- P.A.M. Dirac’s “superposition.” (a naturally
spreading particle is given infinite degrees of artificial motion
until it is observed/measured)
- Quantum “renormalization” and/or “renormalized
dimensions” (subtracting an artificial infinity from the calculated,
observed, natural infinity).
- Mathematical infinities ad-infinitum:
what happens when general relativity–gravitation–meets quantum
mechanics; or when the separate realities of cause and effect meet
- “The collapse of the wave-function”, or, less
dramatically, “vector reduction.” This is the normalized opinion of
what happens when the “spreading” quantum state is observed/measured:
it is instantly “reduced to size” like a popped balloon!
- “The measurement problem” or “Reality crisis in
physics” The paradox of co-mingling with the separate realities
- “Radial extensions” , “Perterbative expansions”
, “Spatial extensions”
- Weyl's theory is reinvented (gauge theory) to
help justify renormalized additives!
Follow along now as we see how the “top secret of
the physical universe” and “the greatest mystery the universe has to
offer” was discovered, contemplated, and then totally and permanently
buried amongst forever-unknowable mathematical abstractions.